I know this is a bit late. Life got…interesting over the past week or so, specifically in regards to my health. I have a new diagnosis that I’m trying to come to terms with. Overall, it’s good I have answers to what’s been plaguing me, but there are a ton of mixed emotions. This diagnosis is difficult because it was missed for years when it really shouldn’t have been. I’m now in need of insanely expensive medical treatment that may not even work. This reminds me of why I started this blog and I do need to start refocusing on finances from the perspective of someone with a disability/chronic illness.
And on a more positive note, I continue to stroll through 2018 with financial stability. I am thinking about posting quarterly net worth updates instead of monthly. I’ll decide for sure next month.
|Liquid Assets||Start||End||$ Change|
|Cash & Checking||$1,384||$1.824||+$440|
|Illiquid Assets||Start||End||$ Change|
It’s a surprise my net worth managed to increase given the market conditions. But things continue to look good.
- Cash & Checking – For simplicity, I continue to further aggregate this category to now include cash, cash-equivalents (i.e. gift cards), and my checking account balance.
- Emergency Fund – I contributed and some illiquid savings bonds (ibonds) obtained liquidity.
- Savings Goals – Birthday gifts!
- Brokerage Accounts – Stock markets are down.
- Savings Bonds – This decrease is due to savings bonds (ibonds) becoming liquid assets.
- Home Equity – I’m gaining equity!
- 401K & Roth IRA – the market went down, but my continued contributions helped cushion the blow a little.
- Credit Cards – I sadly continue to carry over credit card balances. But I do pay them off in full by the due date!
- Loans – I have two loans and continue to make steady progress towards repayment
Budget & Spending
|Bills & Utilities||$410||$441||$31 over|
|Everything Else||$274||$253||$20 under|
I increased my “Bill & Utilities” budget due to paying two annual bills. I increased the Everything Else category due to purchasing birthday gifts.
My medical expenses were fairly high this month, but I don’t budget for medical costs, for now. I still have a healthy FSA balance so that helps.
I was $31 over budget on Bills & Utilities because I prepaid two months of internet. And I went over on food because I bought groceries a few days before the end of the month. Hopefully this means I’ll be under budget for food in April.